Tuesday 6 October 2015

Old Age.

Bismillah

 Yesterday, I went for my first lecture on my favourite module called ' Clinical Ageing and Health'. 
I made a solemn promise at the back of my head to try and recap some of the essence of my lecture and share it to people. My sharing might not necessarily focus heavily on the scientific aspect of my module (but I would include that too, albeit, on very minimum scale).  



The study of Ageing





One thing for us to realise, is that, there's variability in how people age. One who aged 80 years old may differ (in all aspect) to another 80 years old fellow.  What cause certain people to age 'gracefully' ?

Generally, the world life expectancy has been going up through out the years. Hundred years ago, the population may comprise of 1% of people who age more than 65 years old. Now, it has increased to 7% and expected to increase at times.  In other words, there are more people who survived beyond that age (65 years old).  There is probably lower falling infants / early adult death rates and increase in survival. 
All, in which, results from many factors ( It's multi-factorial). 

This module is very interesting. As we dig deeper into the many aspect concerning ageing- which is a substantial part of our life process, I hopefully gained better realisation of how short our life is and then, gain aspiration to work on maximising ways to make my life significant and meaningful. 

Ageing is irreversible. 


Ageing and death.

'Ageing is a progressive generalised impairment of function which results in increased probability of death'

One of the implication of ageing is co-morbidity. Although we find more people live longer nowadays, they also live with more illness. Ideally, in added years there's compression of morbidity/ diseases. 

We have been asked once in a lecture during our second year, 

' Do you prefer to live life when you still have self-dependency or would you rather live longer but suffer illness and has to depend on your family?'

His question echoed through the classroom.


****

As we go through our lecture, Dr Barber decided to give another perspective for us to look at. We watched a TED talk (which, i REALY, REALLY RECOMMEND) :


' As my muscle weakens, my writing became strong,
As I slowly lost my speech, I gain my voice,
As I diminished, I grew,
As I lost so much, I finally started to find myself.'

'It's not having experiences that makes us wise, but reflecting on those experiences. That way, we become whole, wise and authentic!'

***

That's more like an intro to the subject of ageing. If you have any question, I'll give my best shot.  Please, please pray that my final year gonna be a smooth sailing. banyaknyaaaaa scientific essay nak kena buat + journals nak kena baca  T.T


I actually borrowed some books from library(waw amni).  Loves this kinda topics though. InsyaAllah tolonglah jangan memberatkan bag je please -.-

xx












2 comments:

  1. Not entirely relevant to the entry, but worth sharing:

    'What we sometimes say: “The weather is so bipolar today!”

    The weather may be erratic and all over the place, but it does not suffer from manic-depressive disorder. Your friend may have changed her mind about something often and seemingly for no reason, but it does not mean she will one moment be manic one moment and the next suicidal and depressed.

    Bipolar disorder is not the simple swinging back and forth between two things, or sad one moment and happy the next. Bipolar disorder involves extreme changes in moods that occur for weeks on end, that can destroy people’s lives.

    What we actually mean, and what we should say: erratic, all over the place, unreasonable, back-and-forth, unstable.' (Source: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/08/alternatives-to-oppressive-language)

    Thought you'd know this, considering the fact that you borrowed books on depression and mania, which indicates that you have engaged in some sort of academic study of bipolar disorder(s).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful. Whoever you are, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete